Blogs

From workload analysis to proactive management, performance analytics are the “next game changer for IT”

By Len Rosenthal, Chief Marketing Officer

In today’s day and age, the performance of your business-critical IT infrastructure is paramount. We eat, sleep and breathe this at Virtual Instruments. It’s our job and mission to help our customers maintain the necessary uptime and performance they need to support their rapidly growing data stores and digital businesses.

Couple this with federal and industry regulations and requirements, and it’s a full-time job for IT teams to keep things running smoothly. With these strict requirements, the performance of your infrastructure directly affects your ability to do business, and it gains importance every day. As a result, infrastructure performance analytics (IPA) have never been more important for companies of all sizes.

But we’re all about focusing our solutions on a single job, which helps our customers streamline their processes and concentrate on what matters most – helping their end users win the day. To continually update (and fulfill) this job description, we’ve focused on deeper analytics, insights and IPA since our merger with Load DynamiX. We also worked with IDG Research to discover how companies are using infrastructure performance management (IPM) and the power of individuals on their teams to help manage data center transformations.

IDG found that a full 80 percent of IT leaders place a high or critical priority on infrastructure performance and management, with 79 percent indicating their company has already established a team to test, analyze and manage infrastructure performance. Below are the top three factors driving companies to invest in performance analytics and management technology and how those investments are paying off.

  1. Virtualization and the cloud (63 percent of respondents)

This won’t be surprising to anyone in IT. Virtualization and moving certain application workloads to the cloud can save overburdened IT departments time and money. However, with those savings comes added complexity and the potential for performance to suffer. Testing workloads, assessing solutions, and adjusting migration plans accordingly is critical for ensuring fast, accurate and efficient infrastructure performance.

  1. Cost reduction (61 percent)

Solutions that provide real-time visibility into actual performance, like our  VirtualWisdom offering, can help IT managers see where performance and utilization can be improved in environments where resources are increasingly shared. Overcapacity add costs and complexity, so fully understanding what headroom current systems can support is a must. Doing so will help avoid unnecessary IT infrastructure buys.

  1. Performance issues (59 percent)

Performance issues can range from infrastructure slowdowns to complete outages. For the full spectrum of performance issues an IT department can face, workload analytics solutions can quickly identify what’s causing an issue, shorten remediation times and ultimately help avoid outages altogether.

A common thread runs through all three of the top responses in the study: aligning IT infrastructure with the needs and demands of the business. By essentially guaranteeing performance through workload testing, analysis and confident implementation, companies can save time, aggravation and substantial money.

Added complexity is being introduced into business infrastructures almost constantly – it’s no wonder more companies are looking to IPA to help deal with that influx. With 80 percent of IT professionals saying infrastructure performance is a priority, it’s no longer just those on the leading edge who are benefiting from it. It makes you wonder, what’s holding the other 20 percent back?

Want more intel? Check out the full research report.